CHAPTER 4: The Times They Are A-Changing
Entry #28: "If It Makes You Happy"
I often wonder how everyone is staying sane during this weird time in our lives. Speaking for myself, this is actually the sanest I have been in a long time. I can't stress how much I am at peace right now. I can only hope that when I eventually re-step into this new world, I'll carry some of that peace along with me. Today I decided it was finally time to talk about self-care and things that I do for myself. Trust me, it's all been so therapeutic for me. I'm in quarantine in a place where I would normally rather not be, but somehow I find myself turning it into a safe space for me to grow behind the scenes. I only do things that make me happy. Coming off of my first 3 whirlwind months in New York, I've taken some of the knowledge I've gained and put it to use.
Things That Make Me Happy
1. Working Out - As we all know, I have been doing 100 days of sweat for the last 61 days. I have loved every moment and I love feeling stronger, mentally, and physically. I feel really good when I put in the work every morning. Right now I'm doing 1 workout a day, but come day 75, it will be back up to 2 a day. I love doing 2 more, it makes me feel more whole. I can't wait to return to working out twice a day and completing my 100 days of sweat, for the 2nd time in my life.
2. Wake up and take a cold shower for 3 mins. I hated this at first. I have now grown to love it. It doubles my energy and it also boosts your immune system!
3. Cooking. I cook at least twice a day. I wish I cooked during my first run in New York. I never cooked the entire time I was there. I missed it. I love eating good, clean, healthy vegan food. I love the fact that I know what I am putting into my body. I love learning new things about cooking and trying and trying until I get it to the best possible outcome.
4. Mediate/ Prayer. I try to keep my religious views private. I was born and raised in a Catholic home. My mom is very religious, but she's not one of those hardcore pushy religious members. I do pray, it helps. I won't elaborate, but it keeps me calm. Especially in this world of uncertainty.
5. Music. I still rehearse as usual. Of course, I cut down the hours that I sing in the day, to save my voice. But, I do rehearse and keep my machine oiled for at least 2 hours in the day.
6. Film. I love love love Disney. Everyone knows that. I try to watch a Disney film every day. It keeps me hopeful and happy. The films hit me with the feels that I need at this moment. I also watch a selective few of my other favorite films from other studios. I collect movies as well. I have an expansive blu ray collection that I treasure. As for streaming, I am a HUGE Hulu fan and of course, I use Disney+.
7. Books. I re-fell in love with reading during this pandemic. I have a children's show that I now do on IGTV. It's called "Reading With Roy". I read to kids every Friday. It has been so fun to explore that side of myself. I love it so much that it has inspired me to read books made for adults my age. I'm currently reading "Normal People". I loved the series on Hulu and I'm so invested in the story of Conell and Marianne. Ugh, my heart will forever be in love with their story. Plus Paul Mescal is so fine. ugh... lol
8. Sleep. I sleep for 8-10 hours a day. I need all this for my Glaucoma, but I also need it to keep my mind fresh and in check. I do not sleep in as most people do during this pandemic.
9. I journal daily. As you can see, I write in this diary every day. It is important to document every part of your thoughts. Things like this list, you'll be happy that you have this to remember when you come back to these entries, somewhere down the line.
10. Something New. I try to learn something new every week. So far during this quarantine, I have learned to paint, I have learned outdoor activities, I'm learning about cars and how they work. I'm learning things I should have learned earlier in life. I'm proud of myself for this chance to continue pushing forward and learning something new. We must continue to learn during this time. Our minds have to expand, otherwise, we will feel stuck.
Photographer: RL BAZA
What I'm Wearing: Shirt - Good Fellow, Shorts - H&M, Shoes - Madewell